John Bosco Kibalama’s disappearance and the Muhoozi Directive
By Moses Ssejjoba
At the time we are writing this, almost a week has passed since the disappearance of an important member of the People Power movement, John Bosco Kibalama.
Kibalama, who is the accountant for People Power – the movement led by popular legislator Robert Kyagulanyi, better known by his stage name Bobi Wine – went missing on the Third of this month. Most notably, his car was found abandoned along Gayaza Road, with his personal belongings, including the car keys and telephone handset which were found inside the car.
Police discovered the items, and the People Power camp is highly concerned. His family is worried out of its wits. They have every reason to be because all indications point to a state-sanctioned “disappearance”. Antecedent events do not spell good news.
Early last month, on May 9 to be precise, this website published an expose that blew the lid off a covert plan by the Museveni junta to launch a series of assassinations of key actors of the opposition. The plan has First Son Lt. Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, Senior Presidential Advisor for Special Operations, as the brains behind it. This goes further to show how determined the regime is about dissipating the opposition.
Muhoozi, a highly placed security source told this website last month, had convened a meeting of highly trusted service chiefs within the security circles, and he dropped the bombshell. Top on the “menu” for the assassinations were key activists within the opposition, mainly from People Power. It is the one that has Museveni spending sleepless nights, mainly because of the wave of political consciousness it has ignited among the youth across the country.
Kibalama’s disappearance came hot on the heels of the disappearance of another youth mobiliser, for the same People Power Movement, Joshua Mukisa who went missing for days, before he was discovered in a swamp. He had been badly beaten up and now is in hospital nursing wounds.
Mukisa may have been lucky, which may not mean the same for Kibalama, according to our sources close to security. “It is most likely that with Mukisa, the regime was “testing the waters” to gauge the reaction of People Power. Kibalama may have already been summarily executed,” said our source whom we promised anonymity so as to speak freely.
During the meeting, First Son Muhoozi made it vehemently clear that for his father to remain in power, opposition should be silenced at whatever cost. “Silenced”, means assassinated. It shocked even security chiefs that have attended many highly secretive meetings, most of whom have superintended over the worst excesses of the 33-years of Museveni misrule.
Muhoozi bluntly told the meeting that he would rather deal with “the political aftermath of assassinations” than letting the new opposition gather momentum.
The meeting came just a few weeks after the fall of Museveni’s erstwhile friend, Omar Al Bashir of Sudan who was toppled through a popular movement no different from People Power. This informs Muhoozi’s desperation because of the momentum that the People Power Movement has gathered in recent months.
It would further explain the brazen ruthlessness with which any demonstration by the same group has been crushed in recent days. Just last week youths in Gulu – again under the banner of People Power – who were peacefully demonstrating against Museveni’s corrupt ways to entrench his life presidency found themselves facing gunfire.
The carnage that this website reported, left many including two key People Power mobilisers, Bosmic Otim and Moses Okot nursing life-threatening injuries from live bullets.
No one has been brought to book for this outrage, as usual.
“The fact that security is now firing live bullets shows how seriously this new ‘Muhoozi directive’ is being taken,” our source added.